Thank you for your reply Gordon,

I searched and read through both lists for any information about this
issue first. Then I submitted this to the Vchkpw list, since this issue
surely involves Vpopmail and I know how much the Courier list loves to
answer Vpopmail questions.
:O)

Yet, my testing makes me believe this is an issue with Courier-authlib
and how it uses Vpopmail. More directly, in how Courier-authlib
implements MySQL Replication that is configured in Vpopmail.

The reasons I believe this are ...

1) Vpopmail alone (used for SMTP Auth, and adding/deleting virtual
domains) appears to correctly use the read DB for reads, and the write
DB for writes.  Only when using Courier-authlib for POP3 or Imap
authentication does the problem show up.

2) Vpopmail does not use persistent DB connections natively,
Courier-authlib implements these, and I'm seeing persistent connections
appearing on the write/update DB (where I suspect there shouldn't be DB
queries).  i.e. I see connections to the write/update DB and also to the
read only DB for a single POP3 authentication, which should only touch
the read only DB.

I'm guessing that Courier-authlib is handing the DB access on it's own
accord, and not simply calling vchkpw (or those persistent connections
wouldn't be there). And I'm guessing it is within that DB handling that
both DBs are getting accessed?  Unfortunately, my C programming skills
are between zero and none.

Thanks in advance,
Shane Metler