And, contrary to the implication, it would be a BAD idea to include logic
that selects lower priority ("secondary") MXs for the subsequent attempts
unless (all) the higher priority ones cannot be contacted.

Why?

Well, how do you know that the _list_ of MXs hasn't been changed between
attempts?  And if it has, presumably the recipient had a reason for so
doing.

Multiple MXs with priorities are largely an artifact of unreliable
multi-path networks (i.e. dial-ups).  In this day and age, the chances of
usefully using secondary MXs seems to me to be slight, except in a few
specialized cases.

Malc.