Are you *sure* this name and password can do authenticated smtp?  Have
you manually tried to connect to this server and issue an AUTH command
to see if it works like you think?

Thanks for the suggestion... I believe it does. I'd be grateful for any other hints. Since courier goes into STARTTLS right away I don't see anymore what goes on in the communication after the session has been established, so I'm at a loss how to troubleshoot this some more.

bambam# perl -e 'use MIME::Base64; \ print encode_base64("2144-122");'
NjEyMi0xMjY=
bambam# perl -e 'use MIME::Base64; \ print encode_base64("password");'
bWljaDFlbGEyM2g=
bambam# telnet authmailonline.kundenserver.de 25
Trying 212.227.15.164...
Connected to authmailonline.kundenserver.de.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 Welcome to Nemesis ESMTP server on auth.mail.onlinehome.de
helo default
250 mrelayeu.kundenserver.de pleased to meet you
auth login
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
NjEyMi0xMjY=
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
bWljaDFlbGEyM2g=
235 authentication finished successfully
quit
221 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.
bambam#