Iain Sims writes:

Understood, Sam. I'm not bothered about not being able to delete the
folders, but not being able to delete the messages within the folders.

From what I see in the maildiracl man page setting options 'e' & 't'
should allow users to delete messages within the folder. Yet users are
being prevented by not even having the option in the MUA to delete messages.

If you can verify that the ACLs have been set correctly, and the MUA still does not enable this option, you'll have to take it up with the MUA.

Note that old version 1 ACL clients require all three flags, e, t, and x set, in order to be able to delete anything.