Sander Holthaus - Orange XL said:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Steve Jacobson writes:
>>

>>> Well, I finally figured out why tarpitting isn't deterring the
>>> SPAMmers hitting my server.   Every request appears to come from a
>>> different IP.   Over 3000 just today.  This is why we need Greylisting
>>> in
>>
>> BLACKLISTS="-block=sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org,BLOCK"
>>

>> This should nail most of those.
>>

> I use it too, but the the reduction of spam is comparitivly small :-( It
> appears that they'll just try to relay the message through a different IP
> and that succeeds quite often :-(

DNS BLs are useless unless all of your MXs for the domain use them.  Many
spammers now try the highest MX record *first*.  If the MX is just a
backup relay at your ISP that doesn't use a BL then it will of course
accept the mail and your mail server will of course accept the mail from
your trusted backup MX.  Either reign in control of all your MXs, applying
the same address verificaton and anti-spam filters on all of them, or as
Sam recommends, don't use backup MXs at all, mail will still be held for
up to 4 days on properly configured servers...

Jay
--
Jay Lee
Network / Systems Administrator