From: "Gordon Messmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[snip]

First, thanks for the fabulous answer, Gordon.

I'm speculating right now, but if you're doing virtual hosting, and all users have the same UID, then gamin might run out of FDs when a lot of users are logged in and have multiple folders open.

Yes, I'm doing virtual hosting so all of my users have the same UID.

The next time you see this happen, look for a process named "gam_server", and figure out how many files it has open. You can look in /proc/<pid>/fd, or use "lsof" to find out.

I'll look for this next time it happens (along with doing the strace that Sam suggested).

If it's got 1024 files open, it's hit its limit. You've got some options if this is the problem. Some are:

1) Increase the max files per user. Add the following line to the /etc/security/limits.conf file:
*        -        nofile        8192

Ok, I slipped this in. If I understand this right, this is read in on shell execution so there's nothing more I need to do here.

2) Turn off enhanced idle, so you no longer use FAM.

Uh oh...

IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE=0

It's already there...  :-(

3) Replace gamin with sgi_fam and portmap.

I've strongly considered this, but I'll consider this a last resort. I want these mail server boxes to be as standard RedHat Fedora as possible.

It's possible that my changes to limits.conf will mean that this will never happen again, but we'll see. Thanks again, Gordon.

Michael