Richard Secor wrote:

# cat /usr/local/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
pwcheck_method: authdaemond auxprop
log_level: 3
mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
authdaemond_path: /usr/local/var/spool/authdaemon/socket
auxprop_plugin: sql
sql_engine: mysql
sql_hostnames: localhost
sql_user: sql_user
sql_password: sql_password
sql_database: sql_database
sql_verbose: true
sql_select: sql_select

IIRC, "pwcheck_method" can only be set to a single value. In this case the proper value is simply "authdaemond". You can rip out all of the "sql" stuff. For comparison, this is my smtpd.conf file:

# cat /usr/pkg/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
pwcheck_method: authdaemond
authdaemond_path: /var/authdaemon/socket
mech_list: plain

I have postfix using courier-authlib's authdaemond for plaintext password authentication for SMTP AUTH.

# ls -l /usr/local/var/spool |grep authdaemon
drwxr-x---  2 postfix  postfix  512 Mar  1 01:42 authdaemon

# ls -l /usr/local/var/spool/authdaemon/socket
srwxrwxrwx 1 root postfix 0 Mar 1 01:42 /usr/local/var/spool/ authdaemon/socket

What I've tried:
Changing permissions on /usr/local/var/spool/authdaemon. (Even tried  777.)
Getting "auxprop" with "sql" working in lieu of "authdaemond". (However this doesn't look like it will work unless I run "saslauthd" as well, which I understand I don't need to run to get everything working with "authdaemond".)

Your permissions and ownership look fine for postfix, although if you're planning on eventually running courier-imap, you'll need to correct the ownership so that the courier-imap server can write to the authdaemond socket. I have the postfix and courier users in a common group that owns the directory and the socket.

Looked for answers on:
This lists archive, google/yahoo/etc, google (dejanews), etc.
However, it seems everything there is on the subject never came to a conclusion. In fact I can't find anyone who has actually claimed to get SASL & authdaemond to work together.

This setup can definitely be made to work -- I use it daily. I think this is likely just an error in the SASL server setup.

        Cheers,

        -- Johnny Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>