Jonathon wrote:

Oh, I see. If it won't take you too much time, can you briefly explain why `makealiases' will make the problem come back again? Point me to online articles if they're there. Thanks for your patience!

According to the dot-courier man page:

  The directory /etc/courier/aliasdir/.courier-:xalias/ is created and
  maintained by the makealiases(8) script  to  implement aliases that
  deliver directly to programs or mailboxes.

So, when you have an alias file contains a program as a recipient, makealiases creates a dot-courier style file with the recipients, and then directs the alias to that dot-courier file.

New question: Other than Courier, any other MTAs worth learning?

That depends on what your goals are. In general, education and experience are good things, so I'd say yes.

Seems Courier is a very powerful and flexible tool. I haven't compared with Postfix (no virtual mailusers?) and QMail.

I used to use QMail at my previous job. We were only too happy to migrate to Courier. The configuration is very similar, but Courier is much more stable and capable than QMail.

Postfix and Sendmail are both in widespread use, and it's probably well worth understanding how they work, and what capabilities they offer. I'd also recommend learning about the SMTP protocol and DNS. Round it out with a good understanding of the Unix security model, and how each of the MTAs attempts to (or do not attempt to) mitigate risks presented by that model. :)