On Saturday 17 June 2006 16:23, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
[ cut ]
> In summary, I guess I would say that it's not recommended to install
> courier on debian unless you use the "unstable" packages or else
> build it from source.

Well, I have been running Courier SMTP/IMAP on Debian Stable ever since
Woody was released in 2002. Haven't had a single problem worth
mentioning. It's been rock solid for me in every aspect I can think of.

Sure, I may be missing out on some of the newer features, but so far
just I haven't had a need to upgrade (and should the need ever arise, I
would probably just consider backporting the version from Unstable
myself).

In conclusion I'd say: Courier from Debian Stable will work for many,
and they will be happy with it knowing that it's not a moving target
(hence the word "stable"). And likely most bugs are already known (and
there may be known workarounds for these) as opposed to brand new
releases where vital code may have changed and new features have been
added (with the possibility of breaking other things).  New is not
always better...

B/R,
Frederik Dannemare