> This is correct.  The default configuration allows for a site-specified
> selection of the userid who will own everything.  Creating a new "courier"
> userid is a valid option, but so is recycling some suitable stock system
> userid, such as "daemon".  Ditto for the groupid.  Notwithstanding the
> selected userid/groupid, the authdaemon socket has mode 777, while the
> ownership of the socket directory is set to the selected owner
> userid/groupid, and mode 750.
>
> If prior to building the rpm you create a "courier" userid and groupid,
> that userid/groupid will take ownership of the authdaemon directory, and
> the other files, otherwise it's going to be "daemon".

Hmm. The current Debian package creates a socket directory with
permissions 755. Is there any disadvantage to doing so? As far as I can
tell it is not a security issue, since the old password is required to
set the new password, unless repeated failed attempts to do so aren't
throttled. I guess it might be a privacy issue because you could view
userinfo for other users?

Charles

--
Old Dobbin