Tom Brown writes:

Hi,

We had trouble sending to a particular domain because their MX records were incorrect. So, I added a line to esmtproutes to get around the problem. Now, we can send to this domain. However, we cannot receive email from the domain because of the MX records. I am seeing this error in the log:

517-MX records for xxx.com violate section 3.3.9 of RFC 1035

Why is courier checking the MX records for incoming mail and checking esmtproutes for outgoing mail?

To give more incentives to all the dummies out there to fix their MX records.

Is there a way around this besided getting the domain to fix their MX records?

No. Either turn off incoming DNS checking completely, or reject all domains that do not have a valid incoming mail server defined in DNS.