Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>> Julian Mehnle wrote:
>>
>>> As a matter of fact, I have been considering switching MTAs for quite a
>>> while now because of this.  Other MTAs seem to have much more powerful and
>>> nicer filter interfaces nowadays. :-(
>> Yes, Sendmail's libmilter in particular, see
>> http://www.sendmail.org/doc/sendmail-current/libmilter/docs/
>
> I wouldn't call Sendmail's interface "nicer".  More powerful, yes, but
> considerably more complex.

Hm... it is complex on the server side, but it looks rather simpler
for an occasional interface writer, as not every callback has to be
implemented. (I say `looks' for I never actually did it :-)

>  As far as I know, it's also specific to
> SMTP, whereas Courier's API works with all mail sources.

SMTP is the most used option anyway.

>  Courier could
> mostly emulate milter, and you'd get a few benefits -- callbacks on MAIL
> FROM and RCPT TO, which would mostly help greylisting, and also the
> ability to modify messages directly.

Yes, well, that is possible with the whitelisting API. However, it is
cumbersome to interface both APIs within the same piece of client code.
Minor adjustments may make that simpler. Ditto for modifying the body.

>  However, I doubt that the code
> complexity would justify the marginal operational advantages of the
> interface.

Only for compatibility. For example, there is a commercial antivirus
product that only supports libmilter (Avira).

In addition, having, say, a native courierfilter that emulates libmilter
would put Courier neatly ahead in a filtering features comparison.