> Now, try attaching strace to the root perlfilter after you start
> everything, but before you run courierfilter stop.

Therein lies the problem: Whenever I strace it, whether it's before or
after the courierfilter stop, it never fails to stop. So I cannot catch
anything misbehaving via strace. I have an strace output from perlfilter
(http://www.karmak.org/2007/strace.txt), but since it died properly in
that instance, I'm not sure there's going to be anything useful in there.

However, I just found out something very important: The problem is *not*
a 64-bit build -- it's appears to be SMP, and apparently it's been there
for quite some time, at least back to Courier 0.53.2.

All this time I've been assuming the problem had something to do with
this new 64-bit server since all of my other servers are 32-bit. But
this morning I went and ran some tests on a couple older machines, and
without fail the 32-bit SMP always exhibited the same problem. I just
never noticed it before  because the only time courier is ever shut down
is when the entire server is going down.

Here are the specs and results of all the machines I tested on:

Server #1:
   Single-core, 32-bit
   Kernel 2.6.12.6
   Courier 0.53.2
   ** No problem stopping courierfilter **

Server #2:
   Dual-core (SMP), 32-bit (identical to #1 except dual-core proc)
   Kernel 2.6.16.27
   Courier 0.53.2
   ** YES -- problem stopping courierfilter **

Server #3
   Single-core, 32-bit
   Kernel 2.6.15.7
   Courier 0.53.2
   ** No problem stopping courierfilter **

Server #4
   Quad-core (SMP), 64-bit
   Kernel 2.6.20.7
   Courier 0.55.1
   ** YES -- problem stopping courierfilter **

Now, between Server #1 and Server #2, the kernel version was bumped up
from 2.6.12 to 2.6.16, but aside from that all the software they run is
identical. So the signs are pointing to the problem being with SMP.

Sorry for the misleading diagnosis in the beginning. Does this new
information shed light on the problem?