Julian Mehnle writes:

Sam,

I'd like to feed back that I just wasted about three hours trying to figure out why I was getting "550 User unknown" errors from my Courier server when submitting messages for a (newly created) local user who has 4 dashes in their name. This "3 dashes" limit isn't documented anywhere but in Google Groups.

I agree, this should be better documented. You're now in the best position to select where, amongst all the man pages and READMEs in the source package, this should be noted. Even better, you can choose exactly what the note should read.

And of course the limit itself sucks. Courier could at least try an exact match, even if it doesn't try any partial matches for it (which is, as I understand, due to performance/DoS-prevention reasons).

Correct.