For the paranoid (like myself), there's always fail2ban
( http://www.fail2ban.org/ ). It worked perfectly for me in stopping
bruteforce attacks on my ssh port.

Basically it monitors a log and bans (with iptables, for example) IPs
for a period of time after a certain number of authentication failures.

Cheers,
João Vale