Hi.

Am Freitag, 15. Februar 2008 schrieb Gordon Messmer:
> Having the plain text password allows you to use the CRAM-*
> authentication methods, which may offer additional security.  In any
> case, it allows for more flexible authentication options, and I wouldn't
> be too quick to give that up.

Let me hook in here. CRAM would be able to offer with an intermediate hash
value computet when the user sets his password. I don't know the backgrounds
here, but when reading about SASL v1.5, they talk about such things.

Would this behaviour be possible to achieve with courier? Is it planned?

> > a) What function does the authmysql module use to encrypt the password
> > that the client provides?
> I don't think that it does.  As far as I know, you need to use the
> system's crypt() function.

I don't know which types of hashing are supported, but I use salted-MD5 as
unix shadow-passwords use.
They can be created by several programming languages but not by MySQL itself.

> > b) Is it just a matter of using something like phpmyadmin to dump the
> > clear passwords in to the encrypted password fields via the function in
> > answer a)?
> No.

But it can be done by a script (python, perl, PHP, ...) that iterates over all
accounts and transforms passwords.

cu, Bernd

--
Die Grundsätze des Beamtenrechts können in Deutschland nur mit einer
blutigen Revolution beseitigt werden.