Bernd Wurst wrote:
> On Thursday 06 March 2008, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>> [AC_PROG_SYSCONFTOOL]
>> http://www.courier-mta.org/sysconftool/sysconftool.1.html
>
> So the question is: What's the way to got that this tool (it's in the courier
> distribution) gets used? Simply running autoconf complains about this, so
> something has to be done. But what? ;-)

I guess following the instructions on the link above did it

> But when GDBM is used (in opposite to BerkDB) Gentoo does not apply this
> patch.

It has always been tricky to check sleepycat's version. Adding Oracle
management apparently didn't better that situation. Old M4 macros can
be found in other places, e.g. ax_path_bdb in
http://www.gnu.org.ua/software/ac-archive/ax_path_bdb.html

>> >   sed -i -e'/for dir in/a@@INDENT@@/etc/courier-imap \\' authmigrate.in
>> >   sed -i -e'/for dir in/a@@INDENT@@/etc/courier/authlib \\'
>> The last two lines look syntactically wrong.
>
> It's outside the scope of my sed knowledge but sed accepts those lines and
> does something.

Ooops, yes, it obviously exceeds mine as well. I noticed after posting
that those are *a*ppends; I only use the s/from/to/ command...

>> Autoconf and automake shouldn't be needed in order to install a
>> package, their purpose is to produce a portable "configure" shell
>> script. Running them should the package maintainer's job, not the
>> user's one.
>
> That not how gentoo works.
> Gentoo's goal is to provide the user with just some scripts (ebuilds) and
> possily small patches. The portage build system uses them and the original
> tar.gz-File to build an application.
>
> So yes, if the package maintainer need to do something special, all users
> will
> have to do the same because the maintainer just records what he did. If this
> is fixable in courier distribution package, it should be done.

Hm... that apparently eludes the purpose of the autoconf machinery.
You may find some advice from the requirements for building from CVS
in http://www.courier-mta.org/cvs.html