I'm succesfully(?) managed to setup filesystem-based shared folder. Using
courier IMAP from Debian Etch distribution. But I have meet some problems
to do this. Given a very small - good for example server, with two users
tovis and orsi. They are also members of a group called tovisek, which
group have a common space in the home directory:
  drwxr-xr-x orsi  orsi    ... orsi
  drwxr-xr-x tovis tovis   ... tovis
  drwxrwsr-x root  tovisek ... tovisek
In each personal folder I have created an "absolute" soft link to the
shared/common folder to reach common files. (This configuration is working
good with SAMBA - every person can read/write permission on hole common
area, does not meter who was create the file).

As user tovis, I have create shared mail folder using maildirmake:
  home/tovisek$maildirmmake -S MailShare
  home/tovisek$maildirmmake -f write,group -s share1 MailShare
  home/tovis$maildirmmake --add share1=/home/tovisek/MailShare \
  /home/tovis/Maildir

- here was up my first problem, that in last command I must give absolute
  path names - in other case I have strange error messages and nothing
  was done!

As user orsi:
  home/orsi$maildirmmake --add share1=/home/orsi/MailShare \
  /home/orsi/Maildir

After thease steps, as user tovis I can subscribe, using squirrelmail, to
share.share1.share1, but as user orsi I can not do it! OK - it is the file
permission problem - and as user tovis I changed whole MailShare group to
tovisek and give r,w,x parsmissions. Voila, user orsi can subscribe to the
share.share1.share1 folder. Each user can drop/move and of course read/see
emails in this folder.
I do not really understand what I need to be do to avoid by hand change
owner and permissions, when I'm have a special switch to create shared
folders, on filesystem permission shared folder? Is it was a good way? -
or may be its a kind of vulnerability what I have used.
Some what confusing that there is 3 level of nesting in the shared foler:
- share
   share1
     share1  ... which is the real folder
Is it a problem of squirrelmail? As a user, which is not responsible about
how shares are build up why I should have do so many clicks to get
contents of a common folder? Is there any method to reduce this?