Am Samstag, 6. September 2008 20:38 schrieb Sam Varshavchik:
> Wolfgang Jeltsch writes:
> > Am Samstag, 6. September 2008 03:15 schrieb Jérôme Blion:
> >> […]
> >>
> >> More over, when using mailing lists, it's a bad idea to reject any mail
> >> with a failed SPF check.
> >
> > Why? Sensible mailing list software replaces the Sender: header field so
> > that the sender address uses a domain belonging to the mailing list
> > server.  And it’s the Sender: field which should be used for SPF tests
> > (SPF meaning *Sender* Policy Framework).
> >
> > However, I think I’ve heard that Courier also checks the From: field.  Is
> > this true?
>
> Yes, but there's a configuration setting that ignores the From: field if
> MAIL FROM passes SPF. Mailing list traffic will still be accepted, as long
> as the mailing list's domain has an SPF record that validates the mailing
> list's return address.

And what’s happening if the mailing list’s domain doesn’t have an SPF record?
In this case it shouldn’t be treated negatively and mail should be accepted.
But your above statement sounds as if mail could be rejected in this case.  I
wonder how many mailing list e-mails I’ve already lost. :-(

Best wishes,
Wolfgang