Sam Varshavchik pisze:
>  [UTF-8]Pawe T™cza writes:
>
>> Hello People,
>>
>> Is it possible to force authenticated SMTP relaying only via SSL/TLS?
>>
>> We need to protect the passwords of our users strongly, so they should
>> use secure connection (via SSL) to ESMTP/POP3/IMAP servers. But how can
>> we force the users to use STARTTLS for "normal" ESMTP server which
>> listens on port 25? STARTTLS is only option here, so some users can
>> bypass our security policy.
>
> You can make it a mandatory setting only if it's a dedicated server, by
> setting ESMTP_TLS_REQUIRED. You can't do that if you share the same server
> for incoming mail, and smarthosted mail for your clients.

Hi Sam,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I have that server, but I'm affraid that
ESMTP_TLS_REQUIRED setting is too restrictive for me, because I'm not
quite sure that all clients support TLS.

> An option that may work for you is to remove the ESMTPAUTH setting, and put
> it into ESMTPAUTH_TLS. Courier will advertise no support for authentication
> in non-encrypted connections, and will advertise AUTH support only after
> STARTTLS. This setting only turns off the advertisement for AUTH support.

I like that option, so I choose it :)

> Clients are not supposed to authenticate unless the server advertises this
> capability, however it's possible that buggy clients will blindly try to
> authenticate even if the server doesn't advertise AUTH support.

But all clients, buggy and not, will not send message via my server if
they try to use non-encrypted connections. Then they should see an error
message like "513 Relaying denied.". Right?

My best regards,

Pawel