Hi Marcus,

unfortunately nobody can help you unless you can provide details like courier
configuration and logfiles.
It is not that people don't want to help but they just can't without sufficient
details.

Your problem could be at your end as well as at your partners end.
First thing to do are some test like:

1) send an email from a yahoo, google etc account to your mail address on the
server in question
   does it arrive?
   if yes, then the server is basically working

2) next thing to check is your DNS configuration. There are various websites
like www.dnsstuff.com;
   they give you a detailed report about your name server configuration.
   If you don't know how to do this provide your domain name here and other
people can check it.

3) Email works similar to normal mail.
   A: I sent you a letter
   B: I didn't get any
   Possible reasons:
     1) A didn't send the letter
     2) A did sent the letter but the address was incorrect
     3) A did sent the letter with correct address but the letter got lost
     4) letter was correctly delivered but B was too lazy to get it from the
letter box
     5) B got the letter but didn't like the content and is just pretending
that he didn't got it

   In Email content you as the receiver won't see it until it hits your server
(this is from point 3) onward above).
   To solve the problem in case 1) and 2) you need to know what is happening on
the other end.
   To ask for logfiles or returned mail errors is not unprofessional at all as
the problem may well be at your
   customers end.

4) Most mail servers validate a domain before sending mail to a corresponding
email address. If the domain doesn't
   resolve correctly the sender will receive a error message like 'domain
xxx.com doesn't resolve' or similar.
   This means that either your DNS servers are not working or your customers
DNS configuration is faulty.
   The first problem you checked under 2).
   Incorrect DNS configuration is much more frequent than commonly assumed.
You'll hear answers like 'we don't have
   email problems with other domains' etc. but this claim is unfounded because
somebody only becomes aware of such
   problems if somebody complains. In other words: there is no way that a sys
admin could prove that he can reach
   all domains execpt yours.

   Using a command (Linux) command like:
      dig a <mail server> @<dns-server>

   where <mail server> is your mail server e.g.  mail.xyz.com
     and <dns-server> is your partnsers dns server  e.g.
n...@important-customer.com

   you can find out whether your customers mail server can find you.
   If your DNS configuration is correct (point 2) ) and your customers mail
server still can't find you then you
   need to contact your customers techies to solve the problem. It is not your
problem.

General advise is: don't be impressed if your boss (or whoever) is running wild
demanding that you ensure that he gets his mail. Secondly, if you can't receive
mail from a particular domain then most times the problem is on their end.
Over the years I had a number of such problems and each time the problem was at
the other end.

The real challenge is to find and contact the partners system administrator -
as mail server operation is highly automated. Even then you need somebody who
is really understanding the problem AND willing to investigate.

Anyway, I hope this helps,

Regards,
Bernd

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:04:08 +0000
courier-users-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Evidence, well....
>
> I was forwarded one mail, where our marketing guy and somebody external have
> been addressed. The marketing guy did not receive the mail, while the other
> person did.
> I would not try to dare asking for their server logs, since the person which
> sent the mail which we did not receive is a business partner, and it would
> be an unprofessional manner if I contact one of our investors asking for
> their mail server logs. So all what I have is a forwarded mail, addressed to
> 2 persons, and one person (which uses our mailserver) did not receive the
> mail. I checked from that day on all mail.log mail.warn and mail.err , but
> there is not even any hint about this mail...
>
> Okay, you might say, the mail has never arrived at our server (that was also
> my guess the first times when this happened). But since we have at least 1
> case per week where people wrote us, and the mail never arrived (in addition
> the sender never received any error or reject mail), I personally think it
> is a bit suspicious.

- --
Bernd Plagge - プラゲ ベェアント
First Choice Internet Ltd., Tokyo - ファースト・チョイス・インターネット(有)