Hi!

On one of the mailservers I run I get really much spam (as some mail
addresses are really widely known). I'm using the courier dns blacklist
feature as the first line of defence. It blocks a lot of spam, but I've a
resources problem with it.

The problem is that the spam seems to hit this server in waves which lead
to more then 10 times the connection rate as normal. Almost all of the
connections are blocked by the dns blacklist feature, but the connections
are somehow not dropped at once. This leads to entries like

Jul 18 09:57:12 mail courieresmtpd: 250 maximum active connections.

and as courier seems to start a process per connection also in a high
memory usage up to 1GB only for smtp.

I've tried to optimise the config, but every time I scaled something up the
spammers still hit the max. active connection limit. Normally traffic would
work with the default max. active connections setting of 40. E.g. I reduced
the timeout values, it helped, but the spammers still send more than I'm
able to close.

# cat /etc/courier/esmtptimeout
30
# cat /etc/courier/esmtptimeoutconnect
30
# cat /etc/courier/esmtptimeoutdata
3M
# cat /etc/courier/esmtpdelay
10M

How can I optimise the setup further or to I need to change the setup by
adding a proxy with works like lighttpd does as webserver?

I'm running following versions

# dpkg -l | grep courier
ii  courier-authdaemon                0.60.1-1ubuntu2               Courier
authentication daemon
ii  courier-authlib                   0.60.1-1ubuntu2               Courier
authentication library
ii  courier-authlib-userdb            0.60.1-1ubuntu2               userdb
support for the Courier authenticatio
ii  courier-base                      0.58.0.20080127-1ubuntu1      Courier
mail server - base system
ii  courier-imap                      4.3.0.20081027-1ubuntu1       Courier
mail server - IMAP server
ii  courier-imap-ssl                  4.3.0.20081027-1ubuntu1       Courier
mail server - IMAP over SSL
ii  courier-maildrop                  0.58.0.20080127-1ubuntu1      Courier
mail server - mail delivery agent
ii  courier-mta                       0.58.0.20080127-1ubuntu1      Courier
mail server - ESMTP daemon
ii  courier-mta-ssl                   0.58.0.20080127-1ubuntu1      Courier
mail server - ESMTP over SSL
ii  courier-pop                       0.58.0.20080127-1ubuntu1      Courier
mail server - POP3 server
ii  courier-pop-ssl                   0.58.0.20080127-1ubuntu1      Courier
mail server - POP3 over SSL
ii  courier-ssl                       0.58.0.20080127-1ubuntu1      Courier
mail server - SSL/TLS Support
ii  courier-webadmin                  0.58.0.20080127-1ubuntu1      Courier
mail server - web-based administrati

--
Regards,
Robert