Sandro Serafini writes:

Hi,
 I've just migrated a 900-mailbox mailserver from qmail to courier.

Unfortunately this server is continuosly contacted by spammer smtps that load
the machine and/or leave connection open forever. It's like a continuos Ddos:
about 1 to 7 connections every second.

To be able to control this "spam Ddos" with qmail, I used "rblsmtpd" (part of
ucspi-tcp tools) which blocks blacklisted IPs as soon as they connect to the
server, this worked great.

Not really. Most SMTP senders will try again if they get disconnected in this manner, as this kind of a connection drop gets interpreted as a temporary, transient error. An actual SMTP rejection is more authoritative, and is far more likely to get interpreted as a permanent delivery failure.