I am having some difficulty getting courier to authenticate with a
MySQL database.

[r...@cloud1:/etc/init.d ] #:telnet cloud1 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to cloud1.newdom.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL
ACL2=UNION] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2008 Double Precision,
Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.
a1 LOGIN bluethundr secretPass
* BYE Temporary problem, please try again later
Connection closed by foreign host.

This is what happens in my logs when I try this:

Apr 26 18:51:16 cloud1 imapd: Connection, ip=[127.0.0.1]
Apr 26 18:51:23 cloud1 imapd: authdaemon: s_connect() failed: No such
file or directory
Apr 26 18:51:23 cloud1 imapd: LOGIN FAILED, user=bluethundr, ip=[127.0.0.1]
Apr 26 18:51:23 cloud1 imapd: authentication error: No such file or directory

So I have some questions about how courier communicates with MySQL:

1 - MySQL appears to be listening on port 3306, which sounds correct
if I recall correctly.  Does courier have any sort of setting for the
port on which to attempt connection.

2 - Does courier have an advanced login debugging?  It should.  This
might help by providing information regarding the connection attempts
with user, password, etc.

Thank you