On Sun, 30 May 2010 20:47:29 -0700
"Malcolm Weir" <m...@gelt.org> wrote:

> [...]
Perish the thought, I my days running windows I never had that much
disk space.

> Fundamentally, a lot of this stuff *is* complex, which is why
> companies like O'Reilly can stay in business publishing *books* on
> these sorts of things.

My experience of O'Reilly et al's books is that by the time I can
afford them they are out of date.

> Granted, it can be made dramatically simpler, and avoid all that
> "archane jargon" (i.e. technical terminology) if one cuts out all the
> options and variants that one doesn't want or need.

a glossary and examples would help a lot. especially with a description
of the goal.

> The obvious snag is that what you don't want or need may not match
> what I don't want or need.

Yes everyone's starting point and goal is different and simplifying by
crippling is just plain dumb.

> "Back in the day" you paid money for this sort of software, and went
> on training courses, and received linear feet of documentation...

There is still a market for that and many organisations prepared to pay
for it. For myself that kind of outlay is impossible, I have been on
invalid pension for the last 18 years so I have to rely on google
searches, forums & mailing lists for information.

> Don't get me wrong: I've been frustrated by (particularly) the
> exercise of setting up SSL, and others, but I'd be just as frustrated
> working around a car engine absent the appropriate technical
> knowledge.
>
> Malc.

I am prepared to 'put my money where my mouth is' and colaborate on
improving the basic docs if I find someone with the knowledge to feed
me.

I definitely am not singling out courier with my grumbles,its simply a
matter of this being the only package I have received real comment,
maybe I'm more terse than I intend, I've had flames, been ignored and
even barred from forums when I've tried raising these issues.
mik