Classic problem, it gave me a lot of grief and it's not the first
time it did. Posting the solution so that I know where to find it
next time and it might help others in the meanwhile.

IMAP_USELOCKS=1
IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE=1

Apr 23 18:32:04 node01 imapd-ssl: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam--
Apr 23 18:32:04 node01 imapd-ssl: Failed to create cache file: maildirwatch
(user@domain)

ps -A |grep gam |grep -v grep
21164 ?        00:00:00 gam_server

The users are in LDAP, they all have different uidNumber:gidNumber
and imapd spawns an instance under each user's uidNumber. Gamin
however requires the LDAP users to be visible to the system, and
mine were not.

Solution:

- Install nss-pam-ldapd (on redhats, probably libnss-ldap on debians)
- Configure the system to also use LDAP authentication (easy way:
authconfig-tui)
- Add to /etc/nslcd.conf something like
     filter  passwd  (objectclass=CourierMailAccount)
     map     passwd  uid  mail
  adjusted to your local LDAP attributes
- Restart nslcd and verify that you can see the LDAP mail users:
  # getent passwd
  user@domain:{MD5}wTkkq6v2nxY2dNvl8AqIFg==:1234:1234:Firstname
Lastname:/path/to/home:/sbin/nologin

Caveat: if mail users are not meant to get a unix shell on the
system, setting their loginShell attribute in LDAP correctly is
the first thing to do before everything else.

I guess similar solutions apply to NIS, AD, SQL etc user databases.