On 08/08/14 18:53, Lisa Muir wrote:
> Told them I would put the old maildirs onto the office nas so that
>  they'd have them, and they asked the obvious question, what would
>  they open them with.

Well if you batch rename the individual messages in Maildir/cur/*
to something ending with *.eml then if they could download the
Maildir folders then they can just click on them and they will open
up in whatever is their default desktop mail program.

Thunderbird will also open individual messages inside Maildir/cur
from the File -> Open without renaming them.