Most of our brute force password attacks are against our pop service
and some of our breaches are where gullible clients respond to various
claims about "give us your details or you will lose your account",
of which some recent spams were even branded with our domainname so
they would always look convincing to 1% or 2% of our clients.

Once the users pop/imap details are uncovered then they are used to
access the smtp ports to send out authenticated mail. Now we notice
there is a recent tendency to send out very slowly from a large range
of IPs (a botnet, particularly from south america) so the obvious
pump and dump of yesteryear is not detected and can go on for weeks
until we manually notice suspicious behaviour in the mail logs. The
only good thing about this recent trend, to stealthily send out spam
at roughly the frequency of a human, does not land us on a blacklist.

Anyway, one thing that would help mitigate this is to have separate
passwords for pop, imap and smtp servers and maybe even different ones
for each port in use.

Just to be able to have a two passwords, one for incoming mail and
a different one for outgoing mail, could make a difference so any
suggestions how to allow our clients to use different passwords for
the different courier-authdaemon family of services?