Xepher writes:

I've attached a patch (spf-recursive.patch) which, I believe, properly resolves the issue. However, as the current SPF tests provided with courier (./testspf -test=1) do not work (the DNS records used are no longer configured with SPF as far as I can tell) I don't have proper unit tests. It's also possible that I (and several of the testing tools) are misunderstanding the RFC, but I don't believe that is the case.

Please let me know if any further details are needed.

The patch looks fine. The internal checks use non-published DNS records, and they're ok.