Thunderbird often hangs when picking up IMAP (starttls) and I've tried
all manner of tweaks but it still persists BUT now for the past week
trying to send email via port 587 is also taking up to 1 and 2 minutes
before the message actually gets accepted and sent from TB.

I've also been getting a huge amount of these, like 30,000 yesterday,
which I presume are hitting port 25 so I am not sure why these would
affect port 587.

Dec 16 17:01:45 s2 courieresmtpd: dropped blocked connection from
::ffff:96.45.25.223

I haven't touched the esmtpd MAXDAEMONS but increased esmtpd-msa 10 fold.

esmtpd MAXDAEMONS=40
esmtpd MAXPERC=5
esmtpd MAXPERIP=5
esmtpd-msa MAXDAEMONS=400
esmtpd-msa MAXPERC=200
esmtpd-msa MAXPERIP=200
esmtpd-ssl MAXDAEMONS=40
esmtpd-ssl MAXPERC=5
esmtpd-ssl MAXPERIP=5
imapd MAXDAEMONS=400
imapd MAXPERC=200
imapd MAXPERIP=200

I guess my question is if port 25 is getting hammered will that also
delay port 587's ability to handle incoming auth'd requests?

Bonus question, aside from fail2ban, has anyone got any rules for iptables
to block/drop on an OS level any courier-related authdaemon logins and
these port 25 access attempts?

courier-base 0.73.1-1.3+deb.sury.org~utopic+1 amd64
courier-imap 4.15-1.3+deb.sury.org~utopic+1 amd64