On Mon 02/Mar/2015 15:54:05 +0100 Jan Ingvoldstad wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:
>
>>> Use case 1:
>>>
>>> Hi, this is $customer,
>>>
>>> could you please provide a log for which IP addresses have tried to logon
>>> as $user?
>>
>> The complete list of IP addresses would do.  You cannot tell whether the
>> password, the userid, or both were wrong.  IME, intrusion attempts
>> --where both tokens are being guessed-- are somewhat more frequent than
>> honest mistyping, but discerning which is which is not always obvious, and
>> needs human judgment.
>
> There are numerous reasons why a customer might be interested in this data,
> and why we should provide either that, or at least the name of the ISP
> and/or geolocation of the IP address.

How about users deploying Tor?

> I find this constant "you don't need this information" kind of response
> extremely frustrating.

I didn't say they don't need it.  I just noted that $user could have been
mistyped.

> Could you please try to at least respect that while you personally cannot
> see the use for this, that there might be someone else who does?

I chimed in because I had felt that need myself, and had to acknowledge the
fact that the software is engineered such that combining userid, ip, and
password is not always possible.  Eventually, I worked around that need, so I
thought sharing my experience might have helped.

No disrespect was ever intended.

Ale