Anders Le Chevalier writes:

> What I just said. This is IMAP's ugly side. There's only one, very
> specific way, to implement IMAP on the client that has any
> reasonable chance of working with every IMAP server in existence.
> And it's not very obvious what it should be, not obvious at all.
> You can't rely on UIDNEXT. You can't rely on half the stuff in RFC
> 3501, because you don't have a lot of guarantees to go on.

What is your policy regarding Courier's implementation of IMAP?
Support only bare minimum required features, or add new RFCs, even
though they are optional?

There are no formal policies written in stone. What gets done is a combination of what I want to get done, for whatever reason, together with anything reasonable that someone else wants to get done, and writes a reasonable patch for it.