Bowie Bailey writes:

When trying to build the courier-unicode rpm on CentOS 5, I got the
following error:

In file included from unicode.c:8:
courier-unicode.h:44: error: expected ')' before 'l'
unicode.c:41: error: expected ')' before 'l'
make[1]: *** [unicode.lo] Error 1

Both lines specified refer to unicode_locale_chset_l.  I found a post to
the mailing list from back in December where it was suggested to remove
unicode_local_chset_l from the header file and unicode.c to fix a
different compile error on Mac OS 10.

Would that be a possible solution to my problem as well?

Sounds like it, although I'm not quite sure what's up with CentOS 5, here. As I recall, this is mostly an issue with BSDs.