Mark Constable writes:

I think I may have asked this question many years ago but just in
case things have changed. Is there any possibility that some of SNI
negotiation can take place when doing SSL handshakes with couriers
daemons so that multiple SSL certificates can be used on the same IP?

Courier should support SNI when it's built with GnuTLS. GnuTLS's API for SNI is well documented.

I haven't yet found the time to investigate what needs to be done to support SNI with OpenSSL. OpenSSL's documentation was always difficult to decipher overall, good examples are hard to come by.