cour...@rcdrun.com writes:

I am unpacking courier from the sources and use this command line:

  $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/courier

only that does not install sendmail in /usr/sbin where most other
software expects it to be.

What to do to get sendmail in /usr/sbin?

You can use --exec-prefix=/usr/sbin to put all the binaries there.

But I don't know what "most other software" that is. sendmail is not a root- only executable. It can be executed by non-root userids just fine.