Michelle Konzack writes:

Hallo,

I run currently an analyzer over the /var/log/mail.log*  file  from  the
last 12 years ;-) and now I run into trouble, because the prefixing date
has no YEAR stamp.

Is there a possibility to change this?

That's something that's syslog's territory. syslog generates the timestamps in /var/log files.

I was greping all configs, but found noting.

Any suggestions?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5065592/adding-year-in-the-syslog-message- linux

        I really would like to know, which login/password they try...

        However, over the last 12  years  there  where  NEVER  a  singel
        account compromised.  Maybe I am  BOFH,  but  forcing  users  to
        better passwords is unfortunately neccesary, since I do not want
        to bother (have no time for it) with compromised accounts.

Courier is quite resilient to dictionary attacks. The combination of a default max limit of four connections from the same IP address, and aggressive tarpitting quickly kills most dictionary attacks before they go very far.