Thanks so much for replying Steve!

I certainly buy into the decentralization of the economy into
microbusinesses. I wonder though, if it's possible to decentralize the
company itself. A "starfish company," if you will.

For example. Take the same principles that drive the development of
open source software, but instead of developing free software, your
community performs a service or sells a product for a profit. Everyone
in the community is paid based on the value of the contribution to the
desired goal.

It would be different from a standard profit making company because it
is headless. Well, as much as an open source project is headless.
Certainly there will be community leaders. Also, the founder of the
company has to step down, out of the way of community.

If you run down the "commons based peer production" laundry list of
necessities and apply them to a business they might look something
like this:
(I got this list from Bruce Sterling at SWSWi 07, whom I believe
derived it from Yochai Benkler's work in a "The Wealth of Networks."
Though I could be mistaken.)

1) Granular work loads - The workload must be able to be distributed
across the community
2) Self selected - Members choose to join you. You don't select them.
3) In or out mechanism - Members may contribute 5 minutes of work and
leave or 200 hours. Either way the end goal is enhanced respectively
and the member is paid accordingly.
4) Communication - Need clear communication channels
5) Humanization - The community and its members should work on
something that is compelling on a human level.
6) Trust - Members trust each other. Customers trust the community.
7) Norm Creation - AKA there is a company culture
8) Transparency - No NDA's. No secrete elite VP board room meetings.
No unaccounted for monies.
9) Monitoring - The community policies for rotten members
10) Peer Review - Members review and rate each others work. Everyone
knows who stacks up in the community. This, in conjunction to the
amount of work performed, is how you come up with who gets paid what
amount.
11) Fairness - It doesn't work if a few people are exploiting the
community for their own personal gains. Transparency helps keep it
fair.
12) Sustainability - It's gotta' be profitable, or at least break even
and be compelling.

An example might be a company that made an open source version of
SalesForce.com and then charged other companies for the service of
technical support, hosting, or customizations. Again without any
salaried employees or stock holders. The money is going back into the
community and then to the members that the community deems has earned
it. Further, that company doesn't even have an office, the company
members collaborate face-to-face via coworking spaces, and over long
distances via the internet. The infrastructure is distributed. Hosting
may even be done on a grid of community member's computers, with those
member being paid for the use of their idle processing power and
bandwidth.

No interviews, no bosses, no owners, no HR, just peers with peer-
review and "commons based peer production" mechanisms in place.

Does this seem like a possible scenario?