Hi everyone!

Before I started posting ideas and comments I, Alex Lavidge, just
wanted to introduce myself and my partner on our coworking project,
Betsy Crouch.

We're both in our late 20s and are currently planning to put a
"coworking space / social lounge / learning lab" called "Altrupreneur"
together in San Francsico.  In the meantime we've been helping our
friends pro bono at Sandbox Suites here in San Francisco with their
shared office space business and have been learning a lot.

The term "altrupreneur" is the name of a book that I'm currently
writing.  It's about idealists under 40 who have reached a level of
financial freedom where they can maintain a simple, eco-friendly, and
sustainable lifestyle without having to work for an employer.
Instead, they define wealth not by "status symbols" or by their net
worth, but rather the amount of free time they have under their
control to work on the things that are important to them but not
always rewarded well economically in our society for independents.
This includes but isn't limited to: public interest reform, consumer
advocacy, personal development, work in the arts & humanities,
scientific research and development, community building, nonprofit
work, and teaching.

A few of our distinguishing characteristics:

1.  At the moment, we're 90% certain that we'll be operating the space
under the business entity of a co-operative.

2.  Our goal is to get 100 members paying $50 to 100 / month for
flexible access to the space.  Once we reach a certain critical mass
of folks who can pledge that amount, we'll secure a space.

3.  These members are a part of an intentional community that brings
together screened professional indpendents, professionals, social
innovators, entrepreneurs, and cultural creatives who support our
[evolvoing] principles and can commit to helping others in the
community with their goals for personal development and world
betterment.  The overarching goal is to provide members all the
benefits of working for a corporation without actually being a
corporation.  If you like, I can go into more details later.  But in
general, we're going about our project with the attitude that a great
coworking space is more about having the right people than having the
right space.

4.  We want to be near a BART station in downtown San Francisco.

5.  While it's a place where one can work at large tables (akin to a
coffee shop), by design it'll be set up in such a way that fosters
relaxation, collaboration, creativity, and community development.

6.  We're planning to host ongoing classes, seminars, book clubs, and
events on life design, entrepreneurship, and social responsibility.
We're also currently developing a Web platform that can assist with
scheduling these events.

7.  Through the community we'd also like to find someone to help us
organize social events both inside and outside of the space.

We'll be posting more details on our website, http://altrupreneur.org
in a couple weeks.

As for backgrounds, I've been passionately studying coworking spaces
(and working out of one as well on 20th & Mission in San Francisco)
for just under a year.  Recently I visited NYC and Boston and met with
some of the coworking spaces there and taped some interviews with the
tenants and founders.  In addition, I've been visiting business
incubators around the world for the past couple years and since then
have been thinking a lot about how we can provide the benefits of an
incubator in coworking spaces for independents and the self-employed.
I used to work in residential property management back in the Midwest
for three years and before that worked in human resources, public
relations, web development, environmental lobbying, film, marketing,
advertising, journalism, and just a bunch of other stuff.  Like a lot
of creatives, I'm all over the place.  Feel free to join me on
facebook if you like: http://www.facebook.com/p/Alex_Lavidge/14806124

Betsy is a personal financial consultant to over 80 clients has worked
in sales, coaching, and has an extensive background in nonprofit
work.  Lately she's been studying a lot about the psychology of
community development.  She's also on facebook where you can learn
more: http://www.facebook.com/p/Betsy_Crouch/828410374

Thanks everyone and I look forward to chatting more soon!

Be well,

Alex Lavidge