As usual Alex says it all very clearly.

On the subject of taking donations / fees I try to avoid calling it
donations I tend to want people to think about the value they received
personally so suggest people make a contribution based on value, we
have some really cool people around who add great value by attending
events and making other kinds of contributions and I don't want to
discourage that just because they are skint.

Peter Koenig has some good thoughts on the whole money vs value thing:
http://peterkoenig.typepad.com/

James McCarthy
http://thewerks.org.uk