This thread is a good indication that we are all participating in an
innovative, evolving concept. It's wonderful to see everyone so
passionate.

Up till now I haven't thought explicitly about what constitutes the
coworking movement. My experience has been focused on the nuts and
bolts of establishing a collaborative coworking space that does,
indeed, have two people on the lease and a steering committee making
key decisions.

I have been involved in a number of social movements. (I have to say
disability has never had the almost immediate media attention that
coworking has.) Here's a few things I've learned. Discussing and
arguing semantics illustrates the vibrancy of an emerging movement.
The words we use helps to define the new vision we’re seeking. It’s
important to remember that we all want essentially the same thing.
Exactly how achieve that is the discussion. Remembering we all want
the same thing means we have to listen to what others are saying and
be respectful of them and their opinions. Sometimes that’s hard
because of our passion and fear that this wonderful thing might slip
away.

All that being said, four years ago I read about the then 9 year old
San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. I knew I desperately needed to work in
a space like the Grotto, where there were other like-minded people and
I didn’t have to give up my self-employment.  Then, when I googled
coworking last September I saw how I could help create a coworking
space here in Sonoma County. I became part of a supportive community
that reflects the values of coworking.

From the beginning coworking for me has been the space. I’ve worked in
collegial offices and while they might have many of the benefits of
coworking I didn’t have the freedom I do now as a consultant. I’ve
participated in online communities that provide the support of
coworking, but it’s not the same as face to face.

Our original core group looked at different coworking spaces. We
talked about what kind of building we should rent. It was, for us the
coworking space that made it real and satisfied our needs.

For me coworking is a space that incorporates key values.

Anthony
http://www.SoCoDepot.com