I like the metaphor of flocks.  I've enjoyed watching flocks of
starlings.  Somehow or another they operate as with one will,
swooping, diving, circling, etc.  Now, what's really interesting is
when two or more independent flocks are  occupying the same sky.  This
flock goes this way, the other, that.  What is amazing is when two
independent flocks merge.    There's a distinct moment when they stop
being two entities and become one synchronized flock.    Very cool.
Neither co-opts or dominates the other.  They just become one flock.
Kind of like the Democratic Party last week.  :-)

I kind of wonder if something like that can occur with coworking.
There are as many different models for coworking as there are
iterations of it, and I think at some point there will be a point in
time when the models sync up and no one will be trying to "define"
coworking and just start being it.

I think as a movement, we're still a ways from that evolutionary
inflection point.  Right now we're long on vision and values, and
short on structure and strategy.  I think those will emerge as we all
experiment with our own spaces and communities.  No blame.

That said, the real challenge will be for a unified purpose and
methodology to coalesce without any central authority or steering
group.  If any social movement can do this, though, I think this is
it.  This is not to say that it can happen without leadership, of
course, but a different kind of leadership than conventional command-
and-control hierarchies.

--Ax