I just want to say that from my brief visit, it seems like a potentially
very viable location for "pure" coworking: 5 min by bicycle or bus to
downtown Palo Alto, and right in the heart of Menlo Park's thriving walkable
high-end shopping downtown, close to CalTrain, adjacent to Atherton. The
median income in Menlo is $85k (as of 1999); in West Menlo it was $125k;
Atherton over $200k (with median home prices over $6m as of a year ago).
The key thing is that the space is centrally located in the heart of a
high-income area with lots of high-tech entrepreneurs and work-at-home
businesspeople who, in the face of the collapse of the VC engine that has
urged them to spend mucho bucks and go out and rent expensive space so they
look expensive enough to acquire/invest in. They are now being told "go back
to the garage" and eliminate unnecessary expenses, and coworking can provide
a great way to "keep hope alive" and still do client meetings and keep a
team together without paying the still-inflated rents for scarce office
space or putting up with the privacy issues and inconvenience/embarrassment
of trying to have professional meetings at home.
The space itself is up a set of stairs, with coworking check-in process and
private/public/shared resource space allocation already figured out (the
childcare was all at the back end so omitting that would simply add more
flex space); you'd have to visit and negotiate with Felicity and Co. to
figure out how much of the existing user base would stick with you and
whether you'd be buying the business and/or fixtures vs. taking over the
space and starting from scratch or just coming as a client. If you were
pursuing a more grassroots/cooperative model vs. service-oriented high-end,
you might prefer a different arrangement.

Raines Cohen, Coworking Coach <http://www.CoworkingCoach.com/>
Planning for Sustainable Communities