Dear Chris,

Here are some answers from one of the Fiber High partners, myself.

1. We have not been able to rent our cubicles during the last 6
months. Although we had not been familiar with the term "coworking"
when we started we believe it is compatible with the intent of our
facility.

2.  The coworking folks seem to have a vibrant network we are tapping into.

3.  Many "coworkers" have extensive experience on university campuses
and in creative companies. When they go out on their own, either
voluntarily or because they are pushed, they miss having colleagues to
collaborate with close at hand. Coworking may fill in this gap
(depending on who else shows up at the facility).

4.  Many digital natives (as compared with us older digital
immigrants) enjoy working in noisy, somewhat chaotic venues. They
understand how to work without paper and can, therefore, be quite
productive with just their brains, their laptops and some ingestable
stimulants. The rest of us benefit from the restricted visual and
auditory field created by cubicle or office walls. We need our desks
full of pens, paper and filing cabinets. Although we may be unhappy
with the enforced isolation of working at home, coworking at a commons
table in a large room doesn't appeal either.

5. As an educator, I am especially interested in how to create
environments that support learning for a wide variety of folks, both
young and old. For me, a coworking space is a laboratory for
observation of learning within a population of geeks.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Cheers,

Liza Loop