Chris,

Thanks for sharing your post.

I think you hit on some good points.  Coworking communities do need to
become somehow "networked" in order for them to reach their full
potential.  At the same time, I like how you recognized that the
independent spirit of each center (and its members) is at core of the
movement.

That is why I believe any federated efforts need to be in response to
specific community needs vs. creation of a traditional, top-down
"chamber of commerce" type of bureaucratic entity. For example:

1. A Coworking Credit Union - the creation of a cooperatively owned
bank that focuses specifically on lending to freelancers,
independents, startups, coworking members and coworking center owners
would be a valuable instititution for the community ...
http://coworking.pbworks.com/Coworking-Credit-Union

2. Coworking Healthcare - a group rate health insurance plan for
coworking members. Freelancers Union has a program up and running, but
I believe only New York residents are eligible -
http://www.freelancersunion.org/insurance/index.html

3. Coworking Visa - a more structure way to allow traveling coworkers
to use cooperating locations. http://coworking.pbworks.com/CoworkingVisa

4. Coworking Passport - an idea I floated a couple of weeks back where
a network of coworkers could offer urban accomodations to fellow,
traveling coworking members. http://www.airbnb.com/groups/coworking

So, my general thought is that a coworking "federation" could simply
draw attention and bring resources to the growing number of
collaborative efforts among coworking members that are already
starting to blossom.

But those are just my initial thoughts and would love to further
brainstorm on them.

Cheers,

Andy
twitter:  @OnCoworking