Yes, September 1 opening is what we're hearing as of last week.
I'm joining HUB Bay Area <http://bayarea.the-hub.net/> as a Founding member;
my wife and business partner Betsy Morris is planning to become a Charter
member, and work there some of the time, as part of The Brower
Center<http://www.browercenter.org/>in downtown Berkeley.
I was originally personally skeptical about the viability and *
coworkingishness* of "metered" hourly access vs.
anchors-as-desk-renters-by-the-month "traditional" (pioneer) coworking
community cooperative models, but my perspective changed as I:

   - got to know the people involved, their vision, and previous
   projects/experience
   - got hands-on experience with the challenges of space and
   people/business relations management in our little "proto-coworking"
   community in downtown Berkeley for the last year. While it's nice not to
   have to pay hourly rent for our existing classroom space, we believe that if
   we're relying on hosting non-core-business outside events that gross less
   than $100 for a night's work to offset our rent, we're doing it wrong. And
   we didn't get a voice in selecting the tenants who joined after us, and had
   incompatible growth and use patterns.
   - saw the engaged communities growing around *Outside The Cube* (*aka
   Cubes and Crayons*), *New Work City* and *Sandbox Suites*, centrally
   managed/hourly metered access spaces
   - got more details on the benefits of membership and pricing/spaces for
   events; rather than paying equal shares of all the space and initial capital
   investment, paying for just what we use reduces our upfront and ongoing
   costs. Because the building incorporates multiple levels of sharing, it can
   get maximal value for spaces and resources.
   - clarified our own business vision and plans, mapping out partnerships,
   sorting out priorities - where can we add the greatest value? Where do we
   want to be spending our time? Where do we get leverage through cooperation?
   - realized the true power of coworking: instead of putting all our eggs
   in one basket (*leasing a single space*), we could be a member here (*which
   includes use of the SF space once it opens, and many across Europe, where
   **The HUB network* <http://www.the-hub.net/>* started*), and focus on
   building our community connections and business relationships so we can
   partner on events elsewhere as necessary.

Plus, it's a 5-minute nearly-flat bike ride from my house, a block from the
subway, across the street from the University of California campus, and
surrounded by an incredible variety of dining options, including one friends
are co-creating right in the building <http://terrainrestaurant.com/> that I
may invest in. In a building with showers and bike parking (*including
secure attended "valet" bike parking a block away*). And many event spaces,
from conference rooms to a theater. And in a new ultra-green building, full
of potential partners and clients <http://www.browercenter.org/tenants> in
related businesses, and another coworking-style space, the Sustainable
Enterprise Cluster, a *green business incubator* run by Dominican University
of California's (*formerly Dominican College, not related to the University
of California*) Green MBA <http://www.GreenMBA.com/> program, which includes
a branch of another longtime coworking-esque venture, the NextNow
Collaboratory <http://www.nextnow.org/>.

Our current office has a bunch of private storage space, which we'll miss (*it
was a big relief getting our work materials out of the house - fortunately,
some alternatives have emerged*), and big bookshelves built in. But we
really don't need that in the same place that we work together with folks in
and hold meetings.

Raines Cohen, Coworking Coach <http://www.CoworkingCoach.com/>
*Planning for Sustainable Communities* (*Berkeley, California*)