I'm sorry Geoff, but unless your response is in the form of a question, it
is disqualified.
:)

What Geoff doesn't explain is that while we're a for-profit business entity,
our business model is more often qualified as "not just for profit". I've
written extensively on our decision to do this, and why, and what benefits
it's afforded us.

Take a looksie:

http://www.dangerouslyawesome.com/2008/05/29/add-equal-parts-business-and-culture-blend-until-smooth/

Lately I've been thinking about "Triple Bottom Line" businesses, that
operate on three goals: profit, people, planet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_bottom_line

While we may not be green certified, and the ecological benefits of sharing
space are obvious, I've replaced "planet" with "place" in terms of IndyHall.
Our focuses are on building fiscal capital to reinvest in the community,
human social capital in the form of community, and regional social capital
in the form of making Philadelphia a better place for us to work.

Geoff's background in founding and participating in non-profits helped guide
us in the direction that while non-profits are great for some things,
IndyHall wasn't one of those things.

Since it sounds like your primary goal for going non-profit is for fund
raising, I think you'll find plenty of people here that can help advise in
alternative ways to raise funds without applying for a status that could
cripple you down the road.

One more point and then I'm done: we've achieved profitability (that is,
simply, monthly revenue exceeds our monthly expenses. nothing complicated or
tricky to state that) within 6 months of opening our first space and again,
last month, 5 months after opening our 2nd space.

-Alex, IndyHall

--
-----