Nope, I haven't been to SXSW. I've been to a wide range of conferences
before, have planned conferences and tradeshows, and am looking forward to
NXNE finally adding interactive to the Toronto event this year. I know that
SXSWi has a comfortable and familiar feeling to it, and it is a popular
destination among the tech crowd. I don't completely know first hand what
I'm missing out on. What I do know is that it is already a blended
conference - music, film, and interactive. Does it really need to be the
department store of a conference destination by adding coworking to it as
well? Some people might not want to tack on an extra 2days away from home
and their space to attend a conference when they could space it out their
professional conference activities to include a coworking conference at
another time of year, in another across the country or in a difference
country.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not discouraging coworking get togethers at
SXSW, or sessions about coworking, or socials between coworking folks. I
think all of that is awesome, and I look forward to your stories about them.
But I do love the idea of a separate business conference specifically for
coworking. We have an already strong industry that many of you have already
put in a lot of footwork, and we have the potential to continue building
this industry, and could possibly leverage our buying power as a collective
to do so.

And yes, I recognise that I've been fairly quiet in this group for 2yrs and
now that I've announced our space I come in with blazing support for a
separate conference, but please don't take my quiet nature as passive or
disinterested all this time. I've been thinking of planning a conference for
the Canadian coworking facilities for over a year, I just haven't verbalised
it. But why do it only for a few handful of spaces if it could be for so
many more?

In keeping with the idea of moving it around different regions each year, it
means that each city coordinates the conference themselves after winning the
vote of the collective, and that city planning committee could be one
individual space or a group of spaces working together. They take care of
all of the planning and logistics - and it doesn't have to rest solely on
the shoulders of space owners; it could be a member who wants to swap space
for service, or they could hire a conference planner to take care of all of
it. If it is operated as a collective, then there isn't a need for a formal
coworking association, at least not to start.

I see it as a great opportunity to not always be the ones who travel (as you
said), and to have the opportunity to see spaces and meet many of you
without the distraction of another conference or event.
r.