David,

We were in this exact situation. We were meeting for regular Jelly's,
and I ran into the owner of a local interactive agency.  He said he
was willing to offer his excess office space for coworking, if members
paid a low ($10) drop-in rate (all of it goes towards to the owner).
It has worked out well for both sides. He gets something in return for
his unused space.  We get a beautiful space to work in. We have 4-6
people who work 2-3 days a week here now.

But we have run into limitations.  For example, he had some
restrictions on signange and restrictions on 24x7 access, e.g. local
user groups meeting in the evenings.  That is all fine, after all it
is his building. It just means it's time for us to get our own space,
which we are in the process of doing.  The owner is a good guy, and is
pretty in tune with what we are trying to do, he just has his own
expenses, which is understandable.

So my advice would be to go ahead and do it in order to build
momentum. Hopefully their attitudes are aligned with yours. Know that
eventually you'll probably want a space of your own if you want to see
this thru.

Gerard Sychay
http://www.cincycoworks.com