That is frigging fantastic! I'm drooling!

Do you mind sharing what you paid?

typed choppily on my Nexus One....

On Mar 30, 2010 10:15 PM, "Alex Hillman" <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Some of you may have seen this on Twitter, but I thought it'd be fun to
share here too.

We've long had a very practical problem of the fact that Indy Hall just
isn't designed for people who spend all day on the phone. Which is fine,
people can work around that...but ultimately you need to take or make a call
once in a while!

We've got a few conference rooms, social spaces, and even our balcony where
people step out to take a call that's more than a few minutes.

In our current space, we've even set up a couple of makeshift "phone booths"
in closets and bathrooms that people reserve for conference calls.

But...me being me...I've always wanted a real phone booth.

Now, I did a fair amount of calling around to see if we could score one of
the old 90's Verizon booths, since they scrapped all of them in the early
2000's, I figured they' end up in a junk yard somewhere in New Jersey. But
nobody at Verizon could locate that junk yard for me.

Luckily, there's Craigslist.

Having mentioned on more than one occasion my obsession with a phone booth,
one of our members spotted a vintage Bell Telephone booth on Craigslist and
sent it to our internal e-mail list. WAY better than those janky metal and
plastic Verizon ones, this one was WOOD and GLASS, pressed tin interior, and
even the vintage ad still in its sign holder.

The price was right, and despite the need to carefully birth the 500+ pound
beast from a very narrow basement stairwell it's been sitting in for what
was presumably most of its life, she was was worth the wait.

Check her out in all her glory:
http://twitpic.com/1bcoml With original Bell Telephone decals
http://twitpic.com/1bcomm Folding door open, from the side
http://twitpic.com/1bcoqh That awesome vintage sign (OMG long distance!?
Dial by Number!?)
http://twitpic.com/1bcvui And of course, her new home at Indy Hall

The moral of the story is: it's always worth the wait.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia