Alex:

Our prior counts have been pretty rough - based on Google searches and
some directional estimating.

The current count is the first time we've formalized the count
process.  Having said that, it continues to be an estimate and not a
census.  By that I mean we aren't attempting to get an exact count.
This would take too much time and effort and the additional level of
precision is not needed.  Instead, we are attempting to get a solid
estimate.

We've done two prior estimates.  Last December (09) our estimate was
215-220.  Our December 08 estimate was around 130.  Given the shift in
methods and the simplicity of the prior counts, I wouldn't read too
much into these numbers except to say the number of coworking
facilities in the US is growing rapidly.  Going forward we will be
able to be more confident about growth rates.

We include a facility if:  (1) the facility self-identifies as
providing coworking space; (2) it offers a range of membership options
(daily, weekly, monthly, etc.) consistent with traditional coworking
spaces (does not need to provide all); (3) it offers some form of
community space and/or activities (this is subjective based on our
assessment); (4) coworking appears to be a important part of the
facility offering (again, subjective and in part based on the size of
the coworking space)  (5) the facility is active (we look for recent
website activity and call if needed).

What we've found this time is identifying coworking facilities is a
bit like identifying pornography - you know when you see it, but
different people see it in different ways.  The reason is the growing
number of hybrid coworking facilities and non-coworking facilites
adding coworking makes identification harder.  Incubators and office
suite companies in particular are actively adding coworking
options.

A good example is Semantic Seed in San Jose (http://
www.semanticseed.com/coworking.html).  They are an start-up incubator
that also provides coworking space.  We included them, but only after
a fair amount of debate.

Another interesting segment is the growing number of shared artisan/
DIY spaces (3rd Ward and Tech Shop being examples).  These facilities
cater to both professionals and amateurs/hobbyists.  We tend to
include them if we think the facility is targeting and catering to
professionals, even if a large share of their members are
amateurs.

We haven't looked at the closures at all and I would again caution
about reading too much into this data.  At some point we hope to have
time to better understand what is going on in this area.

Steve